Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "Everyday Foods" No. 25 (Sept. 2005).
- 28 ounces fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 10 ounces frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and four cups of water to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, 1- teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoons pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened (4-5 minutes).
- Add barley; cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Add wine and cook, stirring, until evaporated (about 1 minute).
- Add 2 cups of the hot broth mixture to the onion/barley mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost absorbed (10-12 minutes). Continue adding broth mixture in this manner until barley is tender and mixture is creamy (40-50 minutes). (Note: You may not have to use all the broth). Add corn, and cook just to heat through (4-5 minutes).
- Stir in basil and Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, with more grated Parmesan (if you like).