1 hr 20 mins
From "Everyday Foods" No. 25 (Sept. 2005).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and four cups of water to a simmer.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, 1- teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoons pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened (4-5 minutes).
- 3Add barley; cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- 4Add wine and cook, stirring, until evaporated (about 1 minute).
- 5Add 2 cups of the hot broth mixture to the onion/barley mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost absorbed (10-12 minutes). Continue adding broth mixture in this manner until barley is tender and mixture is creamy (40-50 minutes). (Note: You may not have to use all the broth). Add corn, and cook just to heat through (4-5 minutes).
- 6Stir in basil and Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, with more grated Parmesan (if you like).
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Risotto With Corn and Basil
Serving Size: 1 (651 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.1
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 268.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 16.9 g