Recipe by Lizzie Rodriquez
From most recent book. Haven't tried. Just like classic risotto, this barley version is toothsome and creamy. Technique wise, this is even easier than the conventional risotto because it doesn't require as much stirring. This recipe is adaptable. Add mushrooms if you like or stir in a mix of fresh herbs at the end.
Top Review by WeezyMom
I have made the SB Diet Barley Risotto several times at the request of friends and family, and the recipe I used included a package of frozen spinach and some thyme. It is incredibly easy and delicious, diet or no diet! Every time I make it, I am hounded for the recipe. A big, major winner!
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a simmer; remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a second medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and barley; stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and barley is lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Add a third of the broth, bring barely to a simmer, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until brother is almost absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Repeat with next third of broth, and then with the final third. Remove pan from the heat and sit in the Parmesan, salt, and pepper to taste.