Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
this is a great way to use up extra veggies, and a nice change from rice. serve with a roast, or as part of a vegetarian meal. it's also easily doubled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups barley
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh diced tomato
- 1 cup peas
- salt and pepper
- grated romano cheese
- in olive oil, saute onion and garlic until softened.
- add mushrooms, cook until browning.
- add barley and cook for 5 minutes until lightly toasted.
- add white wine, add 3 c stock, tomato, salt& pepper.
- bring to boil, cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- add peas and some additional broth if needed, simmer an additional 10-15 minutes stir in cheese, and more salt& pepper if needed.
Oh My gosh , This is really good Risotto, We love barley but had never had it fixed this way. It does make a lot for two or three people. Will have a good lunch. Recipe is a Keeper, thank you Chia.
I enjoyed the varying tastes and textures in this. This was also the first time I have eaten barley as a main ingredient-usually I have used it as a complement to soups and stews. This was a nice change and was quite enjoyable. Thanks!
Absolutely loved this recipe. Easy to make, inexpensive, adaptable, and excellent! I only made half the recipe since it makes a lot.