this is a great way to use up extra veggies, and a nice change from rice. serve with a roast, or as part of a vegetarian meal. it's also easily doubled
- in olive oil, saute onion and garlic until softened.
- add mushrooms, cook until browning.
- add barley and cook for 5 minutes until lightly toasted.
- add white wine, add 3 c stock, tomato, salt& pepper.
- bring to boil, cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- add peas and some additional broth if needed, simmer an additional 10-15 minutes stir in cheese, and more salt& pepper if needed.
Oh My gosh , This is really good Risotto, We love barley but had never had it fixed this way. It does make a lot for two or three people. Will have a good lunch. Recipe is a Keeper, thank you Chia.
I enjoyed the varying tastes and textures in this. This was also the first time I have eaten barley as a main ingredient-usually I have used it as a complement to soups and stews. This was a nice change and was quite enjoyable. Thanks!
Was looking for a side dish to replace rice. This one is definitely a keeper! I followed the recipe and added chopped carrots as other reviewers had suggested. I didn't have mushrooms on hand and I added Rotel diced tomatoes with chili peppers to kick up the flavor. Will definitely make this again. This did make a lot so plan on lots of leftovers.