this is a great way to use up extra veggies, and a nice change from rice. serve with a roast, or as part of a vegetarian meal. it's also easily doubled
- in olive oil, saute onion and garlic until softened.
- add mushrooms, cook until browning.
- add barley and cook for 5 minutes until lightly toasted.
- add white wine, add 3 c stock, tomato, salt& pepper.
- bring to boil, cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- add peas and some additional broth if needed, simmer an additional 10-15 minutes stir in cheese, and more salt& pepper if needed.