1/1 Photo of Barley & Rice Pilaf from Company's Coming
2 hrs 20 mins
Diana #2's Note:
This is an amazing recipe. Not only is it great as a side dish, it's terrific all on its own. Feel free to change up the vegetables. Because of my love for onions.....I tend to cut them into large chunks. This makes a large amount, but I usually cut it in half. Freezes well too! Slightly different from others already posted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups pearl barley
- 1 cup long grain brown rice, white works well too
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 cup carrot, julienne
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder, I use liquid
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1Preheat oven to 350*.
- 2Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- 3Add celery, onion and garlic and cook for 5 - 10 minutes or until the onion has softened to your liking -- or not :).
- 4Transfer to a 3 quart casserole dish.
- 5Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same frying pan, and add the barley and rice.
- 6Heat and stir for about 5 minutes, or until the grains start to turn golden brown.
- 7Add this to the onion mixture, along with the water, carrots, bouillon, parsley and pepper. Stir well.
- 8Bake, covered, for about 2 hours or until the barley is tender and liquid absorbed.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley & Rice Pilaf from Company's Coming
Serving Size: 1 (2299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.2
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 395.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 5.1 g