Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "The Big Book of Casseroles" by Maryana Vollstedt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In medium skillet, over medium heat, melt butter. Add almonds and stir until lightly browned, about 2 mintues. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and barley. Add stock, wine and seasonings. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to 2 1/2-quart casserole lightly coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake until rice and barley are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
great- wonderful side dish- easy- i served this with pot roast-thanks for the great recipe
Very tasty! Went well with a roasted chicken and asparagus. The only change I made was the addition of about 1 cup of sliced mushrooms, because I had them and they needed to be used. Thanks for posting this recipe!