Recipe by Bec
Compliment the pumpkin flavor in the soup by sprinkling each serving with pumpkin seeds. Look for raw pumpkin seeds at a health food store and toast them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes.
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin or 1 1⁄2 cups mashed cooked winter squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 teaspoons instant vegetable bouillon granules or 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds or 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan combine water, pumpkin or winter squash, onion, barley, bouillon granules, garlic, curry powder, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or till barley is tender- Cool slightly.
- Place half of the pumpkin mixture in a food processor bowl or blender container.
- Cover and process or blend till nearly smooth.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Return all to saucepan.
- Stir in milk- Cook and stir over low heat till heated through-- Do not boil.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds or sunflower nuts.