Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
Since I'm a barley nut, I had to add this recipe to the site. Pearl barley and veggies make this a healthy stew.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- In a zip lock plastic bag combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
- Add small amounts of meat and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large pot with lid.
- Add meat, stir and cook until browned.
- Add the rest of the salt and pepper, carrots, celery, onion, beef broth, seasonings and barley.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes.