Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Since I'm a barley nut, I had to add this recipe to the site. Pearl barley and veggies make this a healthy stew.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- In a zip lock plastic bag combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
- Add small amounts of meat and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large pot with lid.
- Add meat, stir and cook until browned.
- Add the rest of the salt and pepper, carrots, celery, onion, beef broth, seasonings and barley.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
It was wonderful but I added cornstarch to thicken it a little.
This is a healthy, hearty stew with a lot of flavor. I personally did not care for the amount of herb and would leave out the sage all together. I followed the recipe and didn't change anything and we had no trouble gobbling it up for supper! Again, the amount of seasonings is a person preference and would be easy to adjust. Thanks, Carole in Orlando
Awesome barley stew! I love barley and this was great. I used some browned ground beef instead of stew meat(all I had) and it was so yummy. Really great combo of herbs and garlic, just enough for flavor but not enough to mask the flavor of the veggies, barley, and beef.