- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canready to serve vegetable broth
- 4 medium green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted*
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients except green onions and nuts in a 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours or until barley is tender, don't cook too long or barley will be gummy.
- Stir in green onion and nuts.
- *To toast nuts, bake uncovered in ungreased pan in 350F oven about 10 minutes, stir occasionally, until golden brown.