Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cooking Light. This is a nice alternative to rice pilaf.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 cup diagonally cut snow peas (1/2-inch)
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped roasted sweet peppers
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add celery and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in peas, bell peppers, and black pepper; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.