Recipe by Shahana
Sweet and nutty mixture that I like for a change of side dish. *** Update *** After doing this recipe again and not having some things I tried using candied ginger instead of apricot and chicken bouillon instead of salt also increased the cinnamon (too much poured out) used pecan pieces instead of almonds. Result - I loved it that way also! Conclusion - you can do anything with this and still have a great side dish.
Top Review by zaar mate
This is a nice change from some of the regular side dishes. It was an interesting mixture of flavors. I did use craisins in place of the golden raisins because that's what I had on hand. Thanks for posting this healthy recipe.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced, I use the jar stuff
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped in pea size bits
- 1 tablespoon golden raisin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon, more if you like
- 1 tablespoon toasted almond, slivered
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, heat oil; add onion and cook until softened.
- Add the barley, garlic and cumin; cook stirring about 1 minute.
- Stir in the apricots, raisins, salt, cinnamon and water; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until barley is tender, 45 - 50 minutes.
- Add almonds and toss to combine.