Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooking Light. Jan 03
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons commercial pesto sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup preshredded fresh parmesan cheese
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in pesto and chickpeas; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Stir in lemon juice.
- While the barley cooks, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and artichokes; sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place 1 cup barley mixture into each of 4 bowls, and then top each serving with 1/4 cup artichoke mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
We really enjoyed this dish. Dominick ate his with fish (grouper to be exact) but I had mine on it's own and it was delightful. I added broccoli to the artichoke and garlic and I think it added a little extra touch. This dish is quick (it only took me about 20 minutes total time), tasty, and healthy! YUM!!!