Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Different instead of rice or potatoes or noodles.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked barley
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In ungreased 2 1/2 cup casserole, mix all ingredients except parsley.
- Cover and bake until done, about 1 hour.
- Stir in parsley.
- (you know, you *could* also make this with brown or white rice or another grain, just adjust the liquid and cooking time accordingly -- ).
This was delicious and foolishly easy! I didn't have celery salt so I threw in some Montreal steak seasoning. I also tossed some pine nuts on the top. I'll be making this again and again.
So easy! No need to watch or worry. I love this side dish. The ability to change the flavour depending on what your main dish is can be indispensible; ie; Vegetable bouillon for vegan, Beef bouillon for meat dishes and Chicken for poultry and fish. Very good.
Thanks for posting this recipe. It's a good side-dish to serve with any meat or poultry. Very healthy too.