Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This goes great with any meat or just by itself and LF.
- 4 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drain (I prefer fresh)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- In a large saucepan, add chicken stock, onions, celery, and mushrooms; sauté until tender and stock is absorbed.
- Stir in barley and cook, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Add bouillon, water, and poultry seasoning.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
I'm sorry we didn't enjoy this at all. I substituted the chicken stock with vegetable stock, omitted the poultry seasoning. This totally was a disaster. Sorry.
Wonderful! I substituted all chicken broth for the bouillon and served it with hashed brussels sprouts and marinated grilled chicken breasts. Very filling and satisfying.
Made this for dinner last night.. it was a big hit.. However I did make a bit of a change.. I added an extra cup of the barley.. Served with FF Yogurt.. Liz