Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Weight Watchers Core Recipe. For Flex Plan, it is 2 points per 1/2 cup serving. This can be made with vegetarian broth for a vegan recipe. This recipe is NOT gluten free, barley contains gluten.
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cut mushrooms into quarters; saute in skillet sprayed with nonstick coating. Remove from skillet & set aside.
- Next, coarsely chop onion and saute in skillet sprayed with nonstick coating. Remove from skillet & set aside.
- Lightly brown barley in skillet sprayed with nonstick coating. Remove from skillet & set aside.
- Bring broth to a boil then transfer into crock pot. Add mushrooms, onion, barley & seasonings. Cook on low 1-2 hours stirring occasionally.
Good easy recipe. We made it with quick cook barley and it cooked up nice and thick in less than 30 min.
This is super easy to make. I used vegetable broth and left off the italian seasoning since I was serving it with teryaki chicken breasts. Mine cooked for about 4 hours and would have been much too watery at the 1 or 2 hour mark. It was a nice side dish and I liked the bite of the barley. I have frozen the extras and am looking forward to seeing if that works. Thanks.
barley is not gluten free. Do not make or eat this if you are on a gluten free diet.