Recipe by Cindy Hartlin
Vegetarian green peppers stuffed with barley and mushrooms
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
This is a great recipe. My husband commented how similar the texture of the barley is to ground meat, so you don't really feel like you are missing anything. I had big peppers, so I halved them and that worked just fine. Next time I might add more mushrooms, but otherwise they were perfect as posted.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups pearl barley, cooked
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 1 cup marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring until the onions are browned.
- Stir in the barley, parsley, thyme and pepper (ground). Stir in the cheese; set aside.
- Rinse the bell peppers. Cut off the tops; remove and discard the seeds and pith.
- If necessary, make a thin slice on the bottom of each pepper to balance. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into each pepper.
- Stand the peppers upright in a baking dish just large enough to accommodate them.
- Pour the sauce into the baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the peppers are tender.