Recipe by chia
down home comfort food, and low calorie too
Top Review by Sharon123
This soup is wonderful! I guess it's the porcini mushrooms(I've never used them before). I was slightly skeptical at first, but after the second bite, I was hooked! Thanks for a delicious soup! Oh, I did add about 1/2 cup summer squash cause I got given a bunch and did add a little veg. broth powder!
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms or 1 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh parsley, leaves chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- drain dried mushrooms after 30 minutes.
- strain soaking liquid in a paper coffe filter, set aside.
- in pot, add oil over med-hi heat.
- add celery, onions, carrot and cook until soft.
- add fresh mushrooms, cook until slightly brown.
- add rehydrated mushrooms, soaking liquid, 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- add barley and seasoning, cover and simmer about 45 minutes.