Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A bold and flavorful risotto. The chicken stock can be replaced with vegetable stock if desired. Ginger is a good addition when using vegetable stock.
- 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms or 8 ounces portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Mix the stock and bottle of beer in a small pan and heat to near boiling on a back burner. Then lower the heat to keep it warm.
- Chop the onion and mushrooms before browning them in the olive oil.
- Carefully add two cups of the warm stock.
- Next add the barley, thyme, garlic, sea salt, pepper and bring to a slow simmer.
- Cover, lower the heat and cook until the broth is absorbed.
- Add stock as needed and simmer until the barley is fully cooked, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- For Vegetarian omit the chicken stock and use a vegetarian beer.