Recipe by chia
a main course or a side dish , you decide. you can use vegetable broth to make this for vegetarians
Top Review by Rita~
So very comfort and Earthy! I just loved this and will be made again. I chopped the dried porcinis before adding to the stock. I used thyme as well the rosemary. I also used sherry not sherry wine vinegar.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick cook barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups shiitake mushroom caps, quartered
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- salt, pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup dry marsala
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- combine chicken stock and porcinis in a saucepan.
- bring to boil and stir in barley.
- cover, reduce to simmer, cook 12 minutes until tender meanwhile, in a large pan heat oil.
- add shiitakes, onions, button mushrooms, salt, pepper, rosemary and saute 5 minutes until softened.
- add marsala, cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- stir in barley mixture and vinegar, cook 2 minutes more until well mixed.