Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love barley and I love mushrooms, this is a really good and out of the ordinary potatoe/rice side dish.
- Cook barley according to package directions until tender.
- Meanwhile wash mushrooms and pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in a wide skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add nuts and let them cook for a few minutes before adding garlic.
- Add garlic to skillet.
- Slice mushrooms thinly and when nuts are nicely toasted add the mushrooms.
- Increase heat to high.
- Add the spinach, dill, salt and 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Stir.
- Cook until mushrooms are softened and somewhat shrunk.
- The barley should now be cooked dry and be tender by chewy. (If it tastes done but still has water around it, drain excess water.).
- Mix barley with the spinach mixture and 1/2 the cheese.
- Serve on plates with remaining cheese.
- Excellent with garlic toast.
I really liked the way that the spinach and cheddar complemented each other. I had seriously considered omitting the cheese, but having tasted it, decided that the cheese is absolutely essential to this dish. I used almonds rather than walnuts, because that is what I had on hand. And I accidently used a 16-ounce package of spinach.