Recipe by Skipper/Sy
For the RSC#10 contest I have adopted the traditional rice risotto method of cook... whereby you add hot broth a little at a time until the rice or barley is cooked. Adding mushrooms, carrots, and chicken broth makes this dish a tasty one, especially when you add sour cream.
Top Review by 3KillerBs
A wonderfully rich flavor even though I had to substitute canned mushrooms. It went perfectly with my grilled chicken and I can see it as an excellent companion to roast beef as well. However, the extremely involved preparation left a LOT of dirty dishes and the barley seemed unevenly cooked despite diligent stirring. In the future Iâ€™ll think of this when I see mushrooms on sale, but Iâ€™d simplify the preparation and increase the tomatoes and cheese. Note: There seems to be a typo in the directions â€“ an entire half-cup of chopped onions went missing. It seemed most likely that step 3 should have said, â€œadd onions, reserving 1/4 cupâ€? â€“ the 1/4 cup that goes on in step 7 as garnish â€“ so thatâ€™s what I did. Note 2: Perhaps it was the health-food store barley, but all the barley-cooking steps took at least 25% more time than called.
- 3⁄4 cup barley, wash and drain
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and cut up
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth, heated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry basil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place barley in a large pot, fill pot with water near the top and bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until, halfway done (about 15-20 minutes), skim off foam as needed.
- Drain barley in cold water and set aside.
- In a pan add olive oil, 2 tablespoon margarine/butter, garlic and sauté briefly (1 minute), then add mushrooms, 1/4 cup onions, carrots and stir fry until mushroom & carrots are half cooked (about 15 minutes), remove to a dish and set aside.
- In the same pan add the barley and some chicken broth and stir until the liquid is absorbed, continue to add more broth (until the liquid is absorbed) and the barley is "al dente" (about 15 minutes)!
- Add to the pan 2 tablespoon margarine/ butter, the reserved mushroom/carrots, thyme, oregano, basil, Parmesan cheese and sour cream, stir and cook for a few minutes. Add lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add tomatoes, toss and remove to a dish.
- Add 1/4 cup red onions on top of the barley for a nice pleasing look to this dish.
- Note: #1- Add any variety and/or combination of mushrooms to your liking! #2- Corrected instructions based on reading reviews -- .