Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
comfort food at it's best
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 onions, chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups barley
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- preheat oven to 350.
- on stovetop in a dutch oven melt butter and add sugar and onion, stirring.
- cover and cook on medium heat 25 minutes until carmelized, stirring often add barley, stir to coat, remove from heat.
- add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and bake in oven 1 hour until barley is tender.
This is a very flavorful side dish, truly delicious and filling. I remember making a similiar barley casserole from a James Bead book, which got lost in one of my many moves. This one is just as good, if not better, than the one I remember. I omitted the sugar. I wasn't sure what it added to the recipe, since I used large sweet onions and didn't need more sugar to carmelize. Barley is such an underused grain. Try it in this recipe and you won't be disappointed. Chia...this is another winner.
I could not believe how delicious this dish was and it made me wonder why I never cooked with barley before. I also omitted the sugar, and since I was using dried shitake mushrooms I used their soaking water as part of the broth and it turned out really rich and filling. A definate keeper.
What a great recipe! It tastes great and was very easy to make. I don't have a dutch oven so I just cooked everything in a saucepan and transferred it to a casserole dish for the oven. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly and it came out fabulous. I can't wait to have it for lunch again tomorrow!!! Thanks Chia, I'm glad I finally made this one!