Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is a great "instead of potatoes" sidedish that I've served for years.Use beef broth and serve with steaks or pork tenderloin or use chicken broth to serve with grilled or roasted chicken.
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mushroom
- 3 cups beef broth (depending on what meat is served with this) or 3 cups chicken broth (depending on what meat is served with this)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir-fry barley in 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to an ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Sauté onions in remaining butter until pale golden; add mushrooms and sauté 3-5 minutes longer; add to casserole.
- Mix into casserole all other ingredients.
- Cover and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until barley is tender, stirring every now and then.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.