Recipe by Steve P.
This colorful combination of vegetables, garbanzo beans and steamed barley is sure to please. Serve with warm pita bread and melon wedges sprinkled with chopped fresh mint.
Top Review by Suzanne S
I am always looking for new ways to cook my favorite grain barley. This is one of the most flavorful new dishes I have found in a long time. Everyone loved it and I will definately make it again.
- 4 cups hot cooked pearl barley, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and cut into squares
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- TO COOK BARLEY: Place 1-1/3 cups regular pearl barley, 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Makes about 4 cups.
- TO COOK VEGETABLES: Heat oil in large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery and garlic.
- Saute 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except cornstarch mixture and garnish.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Spoon barley around the edge of a deep platter.
- Pour vegetables into center.
- Garnish, if desired, and serve.