1/1 Photo of Barley Morocco
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This colorful combination of vegetables, garbanzo beans and steamed barley is sure to please. Serve with warm pita bread and melon wedges sprinkled with chopped fresh mint.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups hot cooked pearl barley, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and cut into squares
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1TO COOK BARLEY: Place 1-1/3 cups regular pearl barley, 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt in large saucepan.
- 2Bring to boil.
- 3Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 4Makes about 4 cups.
- 5TO COOK VEGETABLES: Heat oil in large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 6Add onions, celery and garlic.
- 7Saute 3 to 4 minutes.
- 8Add remaining ingredients except cornstarch mixture and garnish.
- 9Bring to boil.
- 10Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 11Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- 12Spoon barley around the edge of a deep platter.
- 13Pour vegetables into center.
- 14Garnish, if desired, and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Morocco
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.6
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 371.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 130.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 18.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: