Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw other barley salads posted here and got busy playing the "what can I make with what we have" fame. There's a bean farm not too far from here and they grow the most amazing assortment of beans. One of my favorite varieties is the moccasin bean—it cooks up quickly, firm, almost sweet, and is a beautiful brown. Radicchio is a great foil to the barley and beans and a beautiful addition. If you can't find moccasin beans, try a small red bean.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked cooled barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked cooled moccasin beans
- 1 head radicchio, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup walnut oil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Mix together, chill, enjoy.
- Proportions are somewhat relative and use only as much dressing as you feel the salad needs.