Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Soup of the Day'
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, white and pale green parts, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushroom, slied
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 8 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter with the oil over med-high heat.
- Add the leeks and garlic and saute until very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and wine, stir to combine, and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the barley and 8 cups broth and bring to a boil.
- Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the meatballs, preheat the oven to 375°.
- Oil a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, Parmesan, bread crumbs, 2 tbsp parsley, and tomato paste.
- Add 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and stir to combine.
- The mixture will be very sticky.
- To form the meatballs, use two small spoons to scoop up the mixture and transfer it to the prepared sheet.
- Bake until the meatballs are cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 10-12 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the soup and stir in gently.
- If the soup is too thick, add more broth and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve, garnished with parsley.