1 hr 45 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Soup of the Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, white and pale green parts, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb cremini mushroom, slied
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 8 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter with the oil over med-high heat.
- 2Add the leeks and garlic and saute until very soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the tomato paste and wine, stir to combine, and cook for 4 minutes.
- 5Add the barley and 8 cups broth and bring to a boil.
- 6Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, to make the meatballs, preheat the oven to 375°.
- 8Oil a baking sheet.
- 9In a bowl, combine the chicken, Parmesan, bread crumbs, 2 tbsp parsley, and tomato paste.
- 10Add 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and stir to combine.
- 11The mixture will be very sticky.
- 12To form the meatballs, use two small spoons to scoop up the mixture and transfer it to the prepared sheet.
- 13Bake until the meatballs are cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 10-12 minutes.
- 14Add the meatballs to the soup and stir in gently.
- 15If the soup is too thick, add more broth and heat through.
- 16Season with salt and pepper and serve, garnished with parsley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley-Leek Soup With Mini Chicken Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.8
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 771.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 19.4 g