Recipe by Honeywine
Bought some leeks and then I thought, "What now?" Here's what happened and now it's a staple item here. If you hate celery, leave it in large sections that you can fish out later.
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 (2 ounce) packet dry vegetable soup mix (such as Lipton)
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 2 leeks, sliced finely
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- cajun seasoning, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the sliced leeks by letting them float in a bowl of water for a few minutes and letting any dirt or grit fall to the bottom.
- Put all the ingredients EXCEPT the barley into a large pot and simmer.
- Once the leeks and celery have become translucent and soft (approximately 40 mins.), add the barley stirring occasionally until tender (approximately 45 mins.).
- Season to taste before serving.