Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Taken from the October issue of Food Network magazine with adjustment.
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 small lemon, juiced and zested
- In medium sized pot heat, over medium high heat, the oil and saute the leek until just softened.
- Add the barley and continue sauteing for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, stock and raisins.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat until tender. Approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chives, basil, lemon zest and juice.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.