Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe on eatingwell.com. Hoppin' John is tradionally made with rice, but barley make it a bit healthier. Eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day is said to bring good luck and prosperity for the new year.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook until the vegetables soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, barley, thyme, lemon juice, crushed red pepper, and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is done, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in black-eyed peas.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
i can't believe i make this recipe so delicious by my own..