Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from "The Complete Whole Grain Cookbook" by Carol Gelles. ISBN 1-55611-237-8. To me it tastes almost like a quick wort (unfermented beer), but not as sweet. It's wonderful to stop diarhea, or if you can't keep anything else down.
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Place water and barley in a 1 1/2 quart pot. Bring to a boil. Let boil until liquid is reduced by half, approximately 10 to 15 minutes, which allows the natural sugars to come out of the barley. The remaining liquid should be brown.
- Drain the barley, saving the liquid, and either eat the cooked barley or throw away (it's only 2 tablespoons).
- Return the liquid to the pot and add up to 2 tablespoon sugar, or other sweetner of choice.
- Simmer the liquid for about 15 minutes. If you want, at the end of simmering for 15 minutes, add up to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (although, for me personally, adding lemon juice would just get in the way of the barley flavor).
- Serve warm out of a coffee cup.