Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
In Ethiopia, barley is one of the top cereal grains and it is used in many ways. I like the lightly roasted barely (Yebeseo Dukete) which is mixed and blended with fruits.
- 2 pears (peeled, seeded) or 2 mangoes (peeled, seeded)
- 1⁄2 cup barley flour (Yebeso Dukete)
- 1 teaspoon honey or 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 ice cubes
- If roasted barely flour is unavailable (a) Take 3 cups of barley seeds, soak and remove inedible outer skin (b) lightly roast the seeds for five minutes (c) grind the seeds (d) add ½ teaspoon roasted garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon ginger powder and grind it more (d) keep it tight and store it in fridge.
- Chop the fruits.
- Pour 2 cups of cold water in a blender, add ½ of the barely flour, fruits, honey and ice cubes; Blend it well; Serve it cold.
- * Roasted Barely flour (Yebeso Dukete) is available in Ethiopian groceries.