Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is such a great winter dish! Be sure to use onion powder (not onion salt!) or your dinner will be too salty. You can also add ¼ of an onion, diced very finely.
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Boil the first 4 ingredients together until the barley is tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Serve with some crusty French bread.
I added some fresh herbs and used my homemade chicken stock and freshly ground nutmeg (love my nutmeg grinder) and found this flavorful.
I added one cube of chicken bullion and it still didn't really have a good flavor to it. Sorry.
A nice way to enjoy barley that would allow a lot of creativity. I found this took more like 45 minutes to cook along with the 10 minutes of preparation. I'd recommend punching up the flavor a little with your favorite seasonings.