Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Tasty low-fat, hi-fiber side dish to serve with chicken, pork, or fish.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 158.51 ml chopped carrot
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 709.77 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 1.23 ml sage
- 1.23 ml salt (optional)
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml frozen corn, thawed
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh parsley
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic, onion, and carrots in oil until tender.
- Transfer to greased 2-quart baking dish; add broth, barley, sage, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Stir in corn and parsley, cover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until barley is tender and corn is heated through.
Wow. I made this as a side last night and it was fantastic. I've been looking for different ways to use barley, other than soups, and this was perfect. I added left over chicken and 2T of chia. Next time I'm adding some mushrooms! Thanks for a wonderful dish.
Delicious! I made this as directed and served it with recipe#467300#467300 and recipe#206818#206818. Going into my Favorites of 2011.
I really liked this recipe. It made a really good side dish and then it made a really good lunch. The texture of everything was really good together. It would be a good side dish with almost anything. Very delicious and satisfying. Thanks for sharing!