Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Tasty low-fat, hi-fiber side dish to serve with chicken, pork, or fish.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic, onion, and carrots in oil until tender.
- Transfer to greased 2-quart baking dish; add broth, barley, sage, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Stir in corn and parsley, cover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until barley is tender and corn is heated through.
Wow. I made this as a side last night and it was fantastic. I've been looking for different ways to use barley, other than soups, and this was perfect. I added left over chicken and 2T of chia. Next time I'm adding some mushrooms! Thanks for a wonderful dish.
I really liked this recipe. It made a really good side dish and then it made a really good lunch. The texture of everything was really good together. It would be a good side dish with almost anything. Very delicious and satisfying. Thanks for sharing!