Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is a salad that everyone likes - great for a potluck or bbq.
Top Review by ellie_
Wonderful salad that the whole family liked with chicken recipe#57549. As I didn't have the vinegar mentioned I used red wine vinegar and I also used 1/2 cup olive oil for the dressing. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups medium barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed basil leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups cooked corn kernels
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes, halved or,if large,quartered (get the vary-coloured ones if you can)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil barley in water to which the salt has been added, covered, for 40 minutes, or until it is tender.
- Drain, rinse under cold water and drain well.
- In a blender, blend vinegar, basil and oil.
- Add salt to taste and blend until dressing is emulsified.
- In a very large bowl, toss barley with dressing and corn and stir in tomatoes gently.
- Chill, covered, 1 hour.
- May be made up to 1 day in advance.
- Add tomatoes just before serving.