Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Got this one off a box of barley. The original recipe was just "Hot Barley Casserole" so I added a bit to it. Nothing fancy here - just yummy chicken and good chewy barley. The original recipe didn't have much in the way of seasonings - I usually add some thyme or sage or other herbs.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup barley
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 1 -2 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
Other seasoning suggestions (optional)
- thyme (optional)
- sage (optional)
- tarragon, whatever you like (optional)
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion and celery, cook and stir till tender.
- Add barley, cook about 2 minutes or till light golden brown, stirring frequently.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Add barley mixture, mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Cover and cook about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir well before serving.
Thumbs up all around the table! I added garlic, poultry seasoning, mushrooms and green beans. I could only find quick barley in my store, which knocked the bake time down to about half an hour, but I'm sure I'd enjoy the texture better with regular barley.
This was a great recipe. Makes a lot for two people, so I froze single servings and take them out for a quick and healthy dinner!
This is alright, it is inexpensive and easy to prepare. I used chicken stock instead of water and added some garlic and a pinch of thyme. But in my opinion the flavors were still lackluster, and it takes longer to bake than my family's willing to wait for dinner.