Cook1 hr 15 mins
Got this one off a box of barley. The original recipe was just "Hot Barley Casserole" so I added a bit to it. Nothing fancy here - just yummy chicken and good chewy barley. The original recipe didn't have much in the way of seasonings - I usually add some thyme or sage or other herbs.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup barley
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 1 -2 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
Other seasoning suggestions (optional)
- thyme (optional)
- sage (optional)
- tarragon, whatever you like (optional)
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion and celery, cook and stir till tender.
- Add barley, cook about 2 minutes or till light golden brown, stirring frequently.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Add barley mixture, mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Cover and cook about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir well before serving.