Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Serve this instead of potatoes or rice.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup pearl barley or 1 cup pot barley
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 cups boiling water
- Melt butter in fry pan.
- Add onions, mushrooms and barley.
- Saute until lightly browned.
- Put into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Add almonds, green onion, salt and pepper.
- Dissolve Oxo cubes in boiling water.
- Add to casserole.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until barley is tender.
This recipe was super easy but didn't have much flavor. Thank you for posting.
Awsome recipe. 27*, Martina. I did mine on the stovetop and used pistachios just before serving but otherwise made it as directed. This is going to be a regular grain around here.
I absolutely love barley and this is a fantastic recipe and so versatile! I've made it with chicken broth or beef broth but either way I add in some raisins, maybe a 1/4 cup, that I've reconstituted in hot water. It's not too much to make it sweet, just balances the flavor nicely and sometimes I stir in a little butter at the end to make it nice and creamy. Thank you so much for a recipe the whole family enjoys!