Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Need a change of pace for a side dish? This will satisfy the entire family!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 small green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups chicken broth, heated
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in saucepan, and sauté onion, pepper, and garlic until soft.
- Spray ovenproof casserole with non-stick spray.
- Transfer veggie mixture into casserole.
- Add the barley, heated chicken broth, and coat grains well.
- Season to taste and bake covered casserole for 1 hour.
A nice simple recipe that is tasty, healthful, and goes well with many main dishes. Enough for several meals. Thanks!
I knew as soon as I read this recipe that it would be VERY forgiving and I was right!!! I didn't have green peppers or butter so I subbed in diced carrots and olive oil. Delicious! I also threw in some fresh parsley because I had it in the house and wanted to use it up. Thanks for posting, the possibilities are endless, and it makes a great vegan meal if you don't use butter.
A flavorful, high fiber dish. It needs every bit of the 60 minutes baking time.