Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This meatless dish packs in 14 grams of fiber, 9 grams of protein and no cholesterol. The recipe is from the National Barley Foods Council.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 946.36 ml chopped eggplants
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 226.79 g fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh basil or 14.79 ml dried basil, crushed
- 22.18 ml chopped fresh oregano or 7.39 ml dried oregano, crushed
- 473.18 ml cooked pearl barley
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans, drained
- 411.06 g candiced tomatoes with juice
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 4.92 ml seasoning salt
- 4.92 ml seasoned pepper
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 118.29 ml chopped pimento stuffed olive
- 0.65 ml red pepper sauce (to taste)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add eggplant, bell pepper, mushrooms, basil and oregano; saute 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked barley, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes.
- Mix in vinegar, olives and red pepper sauce; simmer 5 minutes longer.