Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This meatless dish packs in 14 grams of fiber, 9 grams of protein and no cholesterol. The recipe is from the National Barley Foods Council.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cups chopped eggplants
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cups cooked pearl barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive
- 10 drops red pepper sauce (to taste)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add eggplant, bell pepper, mushrooms, basil and oregano; saute 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked barley, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes.
- Mix in vinegar, olives and red pepper sauce; simmer 5 minutes longer.