Recipe by Marz
This recipe was one of the top recipes published in 2008 by the Chicago Tribune newspaper in the Good Eating section. It was adapted from "The Woman's Day Cookbook for Healthy Living." The lemon zest provides a surprising zing.
Top Review by Buster's friend
Wonderful recipe! I was cleaning up saved recipes & was going to post but you did it for me! This one is really delish! Thank you for posting Marz! Another keeper for my "grains, rice & beans" cookbook!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley (not quick cooking)
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat; add squash, onion a bell pepper. Cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Add barley; cook, stirring often, until toasted slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, water, sage thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Cover; heat to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook covered until barley is just tender about 35 minues. Remove from heat, stir lemon zest.