Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Cooking Light, March 2010
Make and share this Barley, Butternut Squash and Shitake Risotto recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled diced into 1/2 inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1/2 pound)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup white wine
- 3 1⁄2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces taleggio cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine squash, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss well to coat. Arrange squash mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 25 minutes, stirring once.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl; keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Add onion; saut´´ 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add barley and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed. Add broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is nearly absorbed. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in squash, mushrooms, and thyme. Serve immediately.