Recipe by kzbhansen
This is a wonderful soup!! I sometimes will substitute 1 Lb. Beef Sirloin but in cubes for this soup.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I made half the recipe, omitted the mushrooms and tomatoes, but added tomato juice for flavor. This made it more soup than stew, and it's a wonderful warmer-upper! Served with homemade bread this was very filling. Thanks for posting Karen. Made for I Recommend Tag.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb beef sirloin, cut in cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a kettle. Saute onion until they are translucent, stir in garlic and mushrooms and cook 1 minute.
- Meanwhile brown hamburger or beef cubes. Drain.
- Add beef to onion mixture. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, the consomme and 4 Cups of water, barley, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, pepper and mixed vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat cover and simmer 10 minutes.