Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful soup!! I sometimes will substitute 1 Lb. Beef Sirloin but in cubes for this soup.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb beef sirloin, cut in cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a kettle. Saute onion until they are translucent, stir in garlic and mushrooms and cook 1 minute.
- Meanwhile brown hamburger or beef cubes. Drain.
- Add beef to onion mixture. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, the consomme and 4 Cups of water, barley, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, pepper and mixed vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat cover and simmer 10 minutes.
I made half the recipe, omitted the mushrooms and tomatoes, but added tomato juice for flavor. This made it more soup than stew, and it's a wonderful warmer-upper! Served with homemade bread this was very filling. Thanks for posting Karen. Made for I Recommend Tag.
Very good soup/stew. I didn't have beef consomme so I used beef broth and just used less water. I also used the sirloin, cut in cubes. It still turned out wonderful. Thanks for this one. I will try some of your other ones -- I've saved quite a few, they sound so good.
Very hearty and delicious soup! I made as stated only I increased the garlic up to 3 tablespoons and I browned it with the ground beef, if you omitted just a little of the water this could be served as a stew it it very thick and filling even as a soup. thanks Karen!