I'm on a mission to make barley trendy again. I think it is criminally underused. we used to get this at least once a week when I was at boarding school and it kept you warm and full for hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put stock in a pan with the barley and gently boil for 10 minutes
- 2While barley is boiling finely chop the leek, celery, carrot and parsnip.
- 3Put the wine in a large pan and add the leek, covver and steam for 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the other veg and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in tomato puree, bay leaves and the barley plus stock. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5serve with hot toast rubbed with a garlic clove or crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Broth
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.0
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 51.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: