Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From Safeway Pearl Barley Package - "This is such a tasty dish and it's effortless to prepare because the farfalle pasta (bow ties) bakes right along with the barley. It makes a nice change of pace from rice and potatoes, with any meat, poultry, fish or vegetarian meal." Pilaf may be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature and reheat in the microwave
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 4 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups green onions, sliced & including the tops (about 2 bunches)
- 3 cups farfalle pasta, not cooked (bow ties)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over moderately high heat, melt butter.
- Saute barely until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to an ungreased 3 quart round casserole dish.
- bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in green onions, pasta, salt and pepper.
- Continue baking, covered, for 20 more minutes or until barley is tender.
- Uncover and bake for 5-10 more minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
This is fantastic. I was a little leary because I thought the pasta would be too mushy, but it's great. I also thought that that was a lot of green onion, but it's just right. The timing is perfect as well. The only thing I changed was to use half beef and half chicken broth, because that's what I had. I will make this again for sure. Delicious! Made for Newest Zaar Tag. Thanks!
My husband and I use this recipe all the time as a side dish for summer grilling - it's DELICIOUS!