Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in an old edition of Readers Digest. It's very heart healthy and delicious.
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 cup diced avocado
- Combine carrot juice, thyme, salt and cayenne in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add barley. Reduce to a simmer. Cover. Cook until barley is tender, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and oil in a large bowl. Add barley and any liquid remaining in pan. Toss to coat. Add beans, tomatoes and avocado. Toss.
I really loved the flavor of this dish. DH didn't care for it as much, but what does he know? ;) I didn't have quick cooking barley, so I doubled the carrot juice and cooked it with the barley until it reduced to one cup, then added the spices and finished with step 2, cooking it for the final 15 minutes with the lid on. I especially loved that the avocado was still perfectly green the next day.