Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this makes a great filling lunch I make it today.
Make and share this Barley, Bell Pepper & Corn Salad recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse and drain barley.
- Sprinkle the barley into a large saucepan of boiling salted water,.
- stirring, and boil it, skimming the froth, for 30 minutes, or until just tender.
- Drain the barley, rinse it under cold water, and let it drain until cool.
- Transfer barley to a large bowl; add bell pepper, corn, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl whisk together the vinegar and more salt and pepper to taste,.
- add oil, whisking till dressing is emulsified.
- Toss the salad with the dressing until well combined.
- The salad may be made up to 8 hours in advance and kept covered andchilled but the parsley should not be added til just before serving.
Delicious and so simple. I substituted fennel for parsley (the leaves and part of the stalks) and my whole family loved it!
I've only cooked barley in soups so was excited about trying this fiber-rich grain in a salad. I was a bit concerned that the barley package said to cook it for 1 1/4 hour while you directed to cook it for only 1/2 hour. I took your advice and am ever so glad I did. After 1/2 hour the barley was chewy - just perfect for use in a salad. There was just enough seasoning, the flavors worked together well, and the chewy texture and nutty flavor of the barley made this extra special. Thanks Dancer for a healthful new way to enjoy barley!