Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Not your usual stroganoff. Taken from "The Ground Beef" cookbook.
Make and share this Barley Beef Stroganoff (Crock Pot) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley, uncooked (not quick-cooking)
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- fresh parsley
- Place broth, barley, mushrooms, marjoram and pepper in slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on LOW 6 to 7 hours.
- Brown beef 6 to 8 minutes in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat.
- Drain fat.
- Add celery and green onions; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Combine beef mixture and half-and-half in in slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on HIGH 10 to 15 minutes or until beef is hot and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with parsley garnish.
- Serve over cooked noodles if desired.
My stroganoff was more of a soup. It is delicious! I forgot to buy half & half, so I used cottage cheese instead. It looks a little weird but I think the taste is similar. I like that this recipe is very simple ingredients and really tastes very savory and complex. Thanks for sharing with us.